He is a former associate judge and prosecutor.
Jarrod has been named by Texas Super Lawyers as a Rising Star, an honor given to only 2.5% of lawyers in the State of Texas. Jarrod routinely is asked to lecture at legal conferences across Texas, teaching other lawyers how to win criminal cases.
Jarrod believes deeply that his clients are more than numbers in a case file, they are people, and they should not have their lives and careers destroyed because of a criminal charge. Jarrod is passionate about helping his clients and will aggressively fight the government to get their case dismissed.
Jarrod completed his undergraduate education at the University of Houston, majoring in criminal justice and graduating with high honors. He went on to attend law school at South Texas College of Law Houston (STCL). Jarrod excelled academically, graduating in the top 20% of his law school class. He founded the STCL Criminal Law Society and was a member of the prestigious South Texas Law Review
He has extensive experience in criminal law and DWI and has worked in both State and Federal offices. He is a former assistant district attorney at the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office. Before becoming a prosecutor, he clerked with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office and Harris County Public Defender’s Office. Jarrod has experience on the federal side of the criminal justice system as well, as a former law clerk for the United States Attorney’s Office.
Jarrod has handled thousands of criminal cases ranging from misdemeanors to murder and every type of criminal charge in between. As a former prosecutor, he has a unique insight into how the police and the government build their cases against his clients. He will use this experience to help you fight and win your case.
He is a native Texan and makes his home in Central Texas with his wife, Elise, and their children.
South Texas College of Law Houston, Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Cum Laude
- Graduated in the top 20%
- Garland Walker Mock Trial Champion
- South Texas Law Review, Member
- Assistant Editor-in-Chief, South Texas Law Review, Vol. 43
- Langdell Scholar, Criminal Law & Evidence
- South Texas Criminal Law Society, President & Co-Founder
University of Houston, Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Magna Cum Laude
- Pre-Law Society, Member
- Student Government Association, Member
- U.S. Federal Court Western District of Texas
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National College for DUI Defense
- DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Williamson County Bar Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, Prosecutor
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Texas, Law Clerk
- Harris County Public Defender’s Office, Law Clerk
- Harris County District Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk
Awards & Recognitions
- Texas Super Lawyer - Rising Star
- 10.0 Avvo Rating
- TCDLA DWI Trial Warrior
Jarrod Smith has been an overwhelmingly helpful asset that has allowed me to maintain my reputation & life. am astounded by the support & service he has provided.- Former Client
After the Jury was selected, the first witness was called to the stand, and Brad and Jarrod imploded the State's case. Moments later, the case was dismissed. I couldn't be any more thankful for Smith & Vinson.- Former Client
Jarrod and Brad used what I consider exceptional legal strategies and won my case as a "Not Guilty".- Mike