Violent Crime Attorney in Austin, TX
Defense for Violent Crime Charges in Texas
Crimes involving violence against another individual carry harsh consequences that can significantly impact your life and freedom. If you are charged with a violent crime, you can be facing a severe prison sentence as well as expensive fines. Violent crimes also appear on your criminal record, which can make it challenging to apply for a job, housing, or educational aid. Additionally, you may not qualify for professional licenses, such as those required to work in real estate, medical fields, or as a pilot. Because a violent offense can alter your entire life, it is essential to secure the services of a skilled Austin violent crimes lawyer.
At Vinson & Smith Law Firm, you can work with a legal team that includes former prosecutors and proven trial lawyers. Our Austin violent crime attorneys know what it takes to thoroughly investigate your arrest, analyze the state’s evidence, and mount a challenging defense. We understand the high stakes involved in any violent crime case and know that your future may rest on how well we do our job. Because of that, we put in the effort, diligence, and commitment needed to seek a favorable result.
Arrested for a violent offense? You can rely on Vinson & Smith Law Firm for an aggressive defense. Call us at (512) 359-3743for a free, initial consultation with our Austin violent crime lawyers.
What Are Violent Crimes in Texas?
Our firm is familiar with all types of criminal offenses labeled as “violent.” These types of crimes involve a lack of respect for human life or property and consist of behavior that may cause serious injury or death.
Such offenses can include:
Because of their aggressive nature and disregard for human life and property, these types of crimes are heavily pursued by law enforcement and state prosecutors.
Penalties may vary depending on several factors, including:
- The type of crime,
- The seriousness of injury,
- Whether death occurred, and
- Whether weapons were involved
For example, vehicular manslaughter in Texas is punishable by a prison sentence of 2 to 20 years and/or fines of up to $20,000 while criminally negligent homicide carries penalties of 180 days to up to 2 years in jail and/or a fine of up to $10,000. Vehicular manslaughter refers to killing another while driving recklessly. Criminal negligence refers to risking the death of another through negligent behavior.
Murder is one of the most violent of all crimes, resulting in another’s death through premeditation and intention, the heat of the moment, or while committing another felony offense, such as armed robbery, sexual assault, or kidnapping. Under certain circumstances, this type of crime can be referred to as a capital murder carrying a prison term of life.
How a Violent Crime Defense Attorney Can Help You
A violent crime defense attorney can provide essential assistance if you are facing charges related to a violent offense. Here's how they can help you:
- Legal Expertise: A violent crime defense attorney has specialized knowledge and experience in handling cases involving violent offenses such as assault, battery, domestic violence, robbery, homicide, and manslaughter. They understand the complexities of these cases, including the legal elements that must be proven by the prosecution and potential defenses that can be raised.
- Case Evaluation and Strategy: Your attorney will thoroughly review the details of your case, including the evidence against you, witness statements, police reports, and any other relevant information. Based on this evaluation, they will develop a strategic defense tailored to your specific situation. This may involve challenging the evidence, questioning witness credibility, or presenting mitigating factors that could impact the outcome of your case.
- Protection of Rights: Your attorney will ensure that your constitutional rights are protected throughout the legal process. This includes your right to a fair trial, the right to remain silent, and the right to confront witnesses against you. They will also advise you on how to interact with law enforcement and prosecutors to avoid incriminating yourself.
- Negotiation and Advocacy: In many cases, a violent crime defense attorney can negotiate with prosecutors to seek reduced charges, plea bargains, or alternative sentencing options that may be more favorable to you. They will advocate on your behalf in court, presenting arguments and evidence to support your defense and challenge the prosecution's case.
- Emotional Support and Guidance: Facing charges for a violent crime can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming. Your attorney can provide you with emotional support and guidance throughout the legal process, helping you understand your options and making informed decisions about your case.
- Trial Representation: If your case goes to trial, your attorney will represent you in court, presenting your defense before a judge and jury. They will cross-examine witnesses, present evidence, and make legal arguments on your behalf to secure the best possible outcome for your case.
Overall, a violent crime defense attorney can be a crucial ally in protecting your rights, building a strong defense, and navigating the complexities of the criminal justice system. If you are facing charges for a violent offense, it's important to talk to an experienced attorney as soon as possible to ensure the best possible outcome for your case.
Retain the Services of a Proven Austin Violent Crimes Lawyer
Facing an investigation into a violent crime or its charges will likely be one of the most stressful and frightening events you will ever experience. You will need a trusted professional in your corner whose sole job is to ensure that your legal rights are fiercely defended, that you receive fair treatment throughout your ordeal and that you receive the most effective defense possible.
Hiring a violent crime defense attorney can provide crucial benefits for individuals facing criminal charges. These professionals possess a deep understanding of the intricacies surrounding violent crimes, ranging from assault and battery to homicide. Their expertise allows us to navigate the complex legal landscape and build a robust defense strategy tailored to the specific circumstances of your case. This can include challenging evidence, scrutinizing witness testimonies, and exploring potential legal defenses that could mitigate or dismiss the charges.
Additionally, a violent crime defense attorney can effectively advocate for your rights and negotiate with prosecutors. Skilled attorneys may be able to negotiate plea bargains or reduced charges, minimizing the potential severity of consequences such as lengthy prison sentences or exorbitant fines. Their experience in dealing with law enforcement and prosecutors can also help in ensuring that evidence obtained unlawfully or through procedural errors is excluded, strengthening the defense's position in court.
Our Austin violent crime lawyers understand that when a potential life sentence or decades of your future are on the line, you need a thorough and committed legal team. Smith & Vinson Law Firm will fight for you, both inside and outside the courtroom, by exploring every legal avenue on your behalf, through tough negotiation with the other side, or through hard-hitting litigation.
Smith and Vinson are absolutely incredible! They go above and beyond to help their clients and have a track record of success in getting cases dismissed. Their aggressive approach and unwavering dedication make them stand out from the rest.- Linda W.
What sets this firm apart is their unwavering dedication to their clients. They listen attentively, provide clear guidance, and approach every case with the utmost diligence. Their attention to detail is truly impressive, and they leave no stone unturned.- Former Client
When in battle you need people by your side who are fierce enough to face the opposition with you. Brad and Jarod far exceeded my expectations with their passion for winning and attention to detail.- Nikki C.
After the Jury was selected, the first witness was called to the stand, and Brad and Jarrod imploded the State's case. Moments later, the case was dismissed. I couldn't be any more thankful for Smith & Vinson.- Former Client
Not Guilty DWI .22 Blood Warrant
This was the 2nd time we tried this case. First one ended in a mistrial last year. 911 caller reported 2 people leaving a restaurant belligerent and stumbling. Officer arrived on scene, conducted field sobriety tests and arrested client for DWI. Client refused to provide a sample. Warrant was obtained and blood came back a .22.
Deferred Adjudication Aggravated Assault & Tampering with Evidence
Our client was involved in a verbal dispute that turned into an altercation where a firearm was discharged into the ground. The round ricocheted and grazed a party to the dispute. Our client was facing multiple felony convictions and a prison sentence.
Case Dismissed Assault Family Violence
Our client was a mother who had allowed her adult son and family to move in with her due to some hardship. After a family dinner a heated discussion between our client and her daughter in law turned into a physical altercation.
Charges Reduced Intoxication Assault Causing Serious Bodily Injury
Our client was charged with 5 Felony Counts including Intoxication Assault causing Serious Bodily Injury after being involved in a vehicle/pedicab accident that injured 3 people, one with life-threatening injuries. The arresting agency obtained a blood search warrant from our client and he was facing 5 felony counts.
Case Dismissed POCS Felony
Our client was charged with a State Jail Felony while stopped for traffic violation in Williamson County. The officers searched the car and found THC oil pens. He was arrested for a felony. We found issues with the search and our investigation uncovered additional issues with the investigation. We pressed the prosecutor on these issues and, coupled with the clean UA’s we had our client take, the case was dismissed.